Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Ideal Monument Analysis Project: An Analysis of Stain Glass Variation Between Canada and The Netherlands

I must say that I quite enjoyed reading the, "Stain-Glass Monuments" post of fellow classmate Erica. While it was interesting to read about Christ Church Cathedral itself, a comparative project involving other churches of the same denomination would have made for a much more nuanced report. Click here to read Erica's project and her related critique.

While I myself selected Ross Bay cemetery as my area of study, my preferred choice would have been to jump on a plane and head over to The Netherlands, to analyze the many churches throughout the district of Utrecht (Where my material grandparents are from). Keeping in line with Erica`s study of stain glass monuments, I would have been interested to see if  stained glass monuments echo similar pictorial displays and if a namesake is presented as well (ie a plaque) as in the case within Canada (Christ Church has 12 stain glass windows portraying the apostles, while the church belongs to the Anglican diocese, my families Catholic church in Kingston, ON also depicts the same images). While the time spans vary greatly between the periods of construction in Utrecht (11th Century) versus church construction in Canada (1800`s), a horizontal analysis could be implemented to see how church styles of stain glass portraiture changed through time.

I found a wonderful pamphlet that briefly describes some of the rich history of the churches scattered throughout Utrecht. As well I would hope, like Erica, to receive a tour leading me into the depths of the church so I may view the crypts as there is something almost sinister about going into the deepest and darkest corners of these churches from hundreds of years ago.

Click the below link for a wonderful pamphlet of a selection of Utrect churches;
http://www.kerkenkijken.nl/doc/Routeboekje%20Nederlands-Engels%202008.pdf

The below link provides you information to tour through Christ Church Cathedral on your own. Get adventurous!!
http://www.christchurchcathedral.bc.ca/images/brochures/tour.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment